SP-102 TWY - Taxiway Edge Lighting Unit
PORTABLE TAXIWAY EDGE LIGHT
SP-102 portable taxiway lights are ICAO compliant aviation lights designed to operate in remote areas. LED optics generates correct light output in terms of intensity and chromaticity. SP-102 airfield light is powered by a standard deep-cycle battery which can be stored locally.
- Temporary lighting for non-instrument VFR runways
- Temporary lighting for non-precision IFR runways
- Back-up lighting for precision approach IFR runways (in case of primary system failure)
- Portable and backup lighting
For 100% autonomy have your SP-102 unit equipped with independently installed 5W solar panel.
- Supports Visual & NVG operations
- Adjustable intensity level
- Multiple operating modes
- Quick & Easy Deployment
- Non-corrosive aluminium body
- IP-65 waterproof rating
- User-replacable battery
- Interchangeable optical head
RUNWAY EDGE PORTABLE LIGHTS
We tend to associate airports with grand facilities equipped with plenty of amenities and newest technological solutions. But a lot of airports consists just of a single runway, which sometimes can be gravel of grassy. In such cases, runway edge portable lights are used. Let’s have a closer look at them. First of all, we shall establish when exactly portable lighting is used.
THE USE OF RUNWAY EDGE PORTABLE LIGHTS
Runway edge portable lights can be used as:
- A non-precision approach, non-instrument runway temporary lighting,
- Non-instrument runway temporary lighting
- Precision approach runway temporary lighting (in case of the main system failure)
RUNWAY EDGE LIGHTING – COMPATIBILITY WITH THE REGULATIONS
Runway edge lighting, just like any other kind of airport lighting, needs to meet an array of requirements, standards and regulations. Primarily, such lighting must meet the ICAO regulations (International Civil Aviation Organization), Annex 14. Moreover, the compatibility with the FAA regulations (Federal Aviation Agency) is also required. For the members of the European Union, the following standards must be obtained: EN 61000-4-2:2009, EN 61000-4-3:2007/A2:2011, PN-EN 61000-4-4:2013-05, and EN 61000-4-6: 2014-04.
RUNWAY EDGE PORTABLE LIGHTING – CHARACTERISTICS
What characteristics should runway edge portable lighting have?
- It should allow for civil and military flight operations; also these that require the use of night vision goggles,
- It should provide an adjustable light intensity,
- There should be many different work modes,
- One should be able to easily and quickly installed and removed the lights,
- Lamp cases are made of stainless aluminum,
- Lamp cases are water resistant (IP – 65 level),
- Lamp batteries should be easily exchangeable,
- The lights include exchangeable optic warheads.
As mentioned before, edge portable lighting can work in different modes. First and foremost, one can adjust the intensity level: minimum, medium and maximum. Moreover, the lights can give out 30, 60 or 120 flashes per minute. Finally, an automatic from-dusk-to-down mode can be chosen.
The work time of a light depends on the light intensity. If the light intensity is minimum, a runway edge portable light will work for 25 hours. If the intensity is set to maximum – 10 hours.
SOLAR AIRPORT LIGHTING
Some lighting types allow for connecting solar panels. The average charging time would be just 8 hours. A fully-charged battery allows a lamp to work for 36 hours.
EXTREME TEMPERATURE RESISTANCE
Portable lighting is often exposed to external conditions influences, including temperatures. A standard lighting can work in temperatures from 20°C to 50°C. However, a lamp set that is often called the “Arctic pack” can work in temperatures from -40°C to 80°C.
RUNWAY EDGE PORTABLE LIGHTING’S POWERING
Runway edge portable lighting can be powered in three different ways. If possible, it is primarily charged with solar panels. If not, a charging station can also be used. Finally, the lights can be powered by the use of an electric power grid.
CONTROL AND MONITORING
What makes the control and monitoring system of runway edge portable lights different? Let’s see:
- It includes a switch on/off button,
- It allows for work mode selection and has a function that prevents from accidental turnoff,
- It includes an integrated microprocessor,
- It allows for automatic lights control (ALC), which will prevent lowering the light intensity when the battery level is low,
- It provides an anti-overcharging and anti-discharging protection.